ABOUT US

All Saints Episcopal Church is an Episcopalian church located on Staten Island in New York. Our goal is to provide community outreach, grief counseling services, Al-ANON, Vacation Bible School, and Classes through our Community Center. For the 2019 church season, we are hoping to expand the services offered through our church as well as offering more events for our Parishioners. If you are looking for a church to worship in, consider All Saints Episcopal Church, our services are on Sundays at 10am.graph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. I’m a great place for you to tell a story and let your users know a little more about you.

ADDRESS

E-Mail:

Info@AllSaintsWillowbrook.org


Phone: (718) 698-1338


Address: 2329 Victory Blvd SI, NY 
Site: www.AllSaintsStatenIslan.org

SUBSCRIBE FOR EMAILS
  • Grey Facebook Icon

© 2019 by AllSaintsStatenIsland.com, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

ABOUT US

All Saints Episcopal Church was founded in 1889 on the evening of All Saints' Day by Mrs. Susan DeHart in a private building in Mariners' Harbor on Shore Road (now Richmond Terrace). What started as a Sunday School, evolved into a church under the mission of Reverend Canon Pascal Harrower. He served as the Rector at the Church of the Ascension and was moved to Franklin Hall, at the corner of Harbor Road on December 1st, 1891, and again later to Central Avenue (now DeHart Avenue).

OUR HISTORY

From 1896 until 1906 the mission was under the Archdeaconry of Richmond and was organized as an independent parish in 1906. The priests-in-charge were:

 

The Rev. William Quail                           1897-8999

The Rev. George LaVilleSweeny, D.D.  1899-1900

The Rev. William Swan                           1900-1901

The Rev. J.A. McConshard                      1902-1903

The Rev. George Burbanks                   1902-1904

 

The Rev. J. Baptiste Blanchet, D.D. was appointed the first rector in October 1904, dividing his time for four years between All Saints' and the Church of the Holy Comforter, Eltingville, and later gave his full time to All Saints' and until his resignation on September 1st, 1909. Dr. Blanchet incorporated the mission into a separate parish on January 29th, 1906, and was elected its first rector. In 1907, the property was purchased on the corner of Van Name Avenue and Richmond Terrace as a site for a new church, parish house, rectory, and emergency hospital.

 

The Rev. William MIx became rector in October 1909 and found the parish burdened with debt. He proceeded to set it on firm footing. The unsatisfactory hall on Central Avenue was the only place for worship. At this time the Seaman's Church Institue of New York had vacated its floating chapel on the East River known as the Church of our Savior. It was offered to the church through the efforts of Archdeacon Charles Burch, a suitable location was secured for it in Mariners Harbor. The transfer of the floating chapel was accomplished, and it was brought to an anchorage in the Kill Van Kull opposite Van Name Avenue.

 

The Rev. J. Baptiste Blanchet, D.D. was appointed the first rector in October 1904, dividing his time for four years between All Saints' and the Church of the Holy Comforter, Eltingville, and later gave his full time to All Saints' and until his resignation on September 1st, 1909. Dr. Blanchet incorporated the mission into a separate parish on January 29th, 1906, and was elected its first rector. In 1907, the property was purchased on the corner of Van Name Avenue and Richmond Terrace as a site for a new church, parish house, rectory, and emergency hospital.​

 

 

 

The Rev. William MIx became rector in October 1909 and found the parish burdened with debt. He proceeded to set it on firm footing. The unsatisfactory hall on Central Avenue was the only place for worship. At this time the Seaman's Church Institue of New York had vacated its floating chapel on the East River known as the Church of our Savior. It was offered to the church through the efforts of Archdeacon Charles Burch, a suitable location was secured for it in Mariners Harbor. The transfer of the floating chapel was accomplished, and it was brought to an anchorage in the Kill Van Kull opposite Van Name Avenue.

 

For nearly four years the chapel served the congregation at the waterfront before it was moved to a land site at Richmond Terrace and Van Name Avenue. A foundation was constructed and on July 31st, 1914, the chapel was freed from its mooring and moved to a new location. The parish hall on Central Avenue was deeded to the Church Missionary and Extension Society. The church was used at once for service although the cornerstone was not laid until the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Parish on November 1at, 1914. It was a festive occasion; the Rt. Rev. Charles Burch preached and officiated at the ceremony. A memorial window to Captain Lockwood, who served in the 6th Pennslyvania Cavalry, was presented by his business friends. The bell from the steamer "Atlantic" that sank off Fishers Island with all abroad was hung in the church belfry. During the rectorate of the Rev. Ohse, the parish thrived.

 

The church had a difficult time during the Great Depression. In 1930, the Rev. Gerald Burrill (now retired Bishop of Chicago) was rector. The Rev. Walter Gratton came in 1935 and stayed until 1942 when he became Chaplin of the Seaman 's Church Institute. The Rev. David Bowen became priest-in-charge on January 1st, 1943, retiring in 1951.

 

The Rev. Douglas Glasspool was appointed priest-in-charge on July 1st, 1951, serving until April 1954. The Rev. Sidney Olorenshaw arrived in 1954. On December 26th, 1958, during the pastorate of Rev. Berry, the church burned. The insurance did not cover the loss. The children and young people of the parish set up a booth at the New York ferry terminal and collected $6,500.00 toward building a new church.

 

The old church was sold to the V.F.W. The Rev. William Clague came to All Saints' in 1959 to build a new church. Meanwhile, the congregation worshipped in Graniteville Methodist Church and at Sailor's Snug Harbor chapel. Land was purchased by the Diocese on the corner of Victory Boulevard and Woolley Avenue. On All Saints' Day, 1964, the cornerstone of the new church was laid, and on February 22rd, 1965, the first service was held. On May 9th, 965, the church was dedicated by the Rt. Rev. Horace W.B. Donegan; the Rev. William Clague served as priest-in-charge until 1969. On April 15th, 1970, the Rev. Joel E.A. Novey was inducted as priest-in-charge, and on February 8th, 1976, installed as rector of All Saints' by the Rt. Rev.  Harold Wright. On May 11th, 1976, All Saints was reorganized as a parish by the Diocesan Convention. A parish hall and community center, since renamed Novey Hall, was added to the church building in 1983.​

The Rev. Canon Joel E.A. Novey served as Rector of All Saints' for 34 1/2 years. During those many years, Fr. Novey was instrumental in making All Saints' an inclusive parish. He opened our doors to fledgling congregations including Holy Family, RC Church, Mar Thomas Church of Staten Island, an Indian congregation, as well as two Reform Jewish temples who held services in All Saints'. At Fr. Novey's retirement in 2004, he was the longest seated rector in the Diocese of New York. 

 

Our current Rector is Fr. Lewis Marshall. Picking up where Fr. Novey left off, Fr. Marshall has opened his doors to any and all who are seeking a deeper connection with our Lord. He has been instrumental in efforts to see the church through many challenging times and continues to serve us as an example of how we should all lead our lives in our journey with Christ. Fr. Marshall provides a fresh perspective and is a well-known activist and champion of human and environmental rights. His forward thinking and progressive ways has led the church into a period of free thought and spiritual wealth.

 

For nearly four years the chapel served the congregation at the waterfront before it was moved to a land site at Richmond Terrace and Van Name Avenue. A foundation was constructed and on July 31st, 1914, the chapel was freed from its mooring and moved to a new location. The parish hall on Central Avenue was deeded to the Church Missionary and Extension Society. The church was used at once for service although the cornerstone was not laid until the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Parish on November 1at, 1914. It was a festive occasion; the Rt. Rev. Charles Burch preached and officiated at the ceremony. A memorial window to Captain Lockwood, who served in the 6th Pennslyvania Cavalry, was presented by his business friends. The bell from the steamer "Atlantic" that sank off Fishers Island with all abroad was hung in the church belfry. During the rectorate of the Rev. Ohse, the parish thrived.

 

The church had a difficult time during the Great Depression. In 1930, the Rev. Gerald Burrill (now retired Bishop of Chicago) was rector. The Rev. Walter Gratton came in 1935 and stayed until 1942 when he became Chaplin of the Seaman 's Church Institute. The Rev. David Bowen became priest-in-charge on January 1st, 1943, retiring in 1951.

 

The Rev. Douglas Glasspool was appointed priest-in-charge on July 1st, 1951, serving until April 1954. The Rev. Sidney Olorenshaw arrived in 1954. On December 26th, 1958, during the pastorate of Rev. Berry, the church burned. The insurance did not cover the loss. The children and young people of the parish set up a booth at the New York ferry terminal and collected $6,500.00 toward building a new church.​

The old church was sold to the V.F.W. The Rev. William Clague came to All Saints' in 1959 to build a new church. Meanwhile, the congregation worshipped in Graniteville Methodist Church and at Sailor's Snug Harbor chapel. Land was purchased by the Diocese on the corner of Victory Boulevard and Woolley Avenue. On All Saints' Day, 1964, the cornerstone of the new church was laid, and on February 22rd, 1965, the first service was held. On May 9th, 965, the church was dedicated by the Rt. Rev. Horace W.B. Donegan; the Rev. William Clague served as priest-in-charge until 1969. On April 15th, 1970, the Rev. Joel E.A. Novey was inducted as priest-in-charge, and on February 8th, 1976, installed as rector of All Saints' by the Rt. Rev.  Harold Wright. On May 11th, 1976, All Saints was reorganized as a parish by the Diocesan Convention. A parish hall and community center, since renamed Novey Hall, was added to the church building in 1983.

 

The Rev. Canon Joel E.A. Novey served as Rector of All Saints' for 34 1/2 years. During those many years, Fr. Novey was instrumental in making All Saints' an inclusive parish. He opened our doors to fledgling congregations including Holy Family, RC Church, Mar Thomas Church of Staten Island, an Indian congregation, as well as two Reform Jewish temples who held services in All Saints'. At Fr. Novey's retirement in 2004, he was the longest seated rector in the Diocese of New York. 

 

Our current Rector is Fr. Lewis Marshall. Picking up where Fr. Novey left off, Fr. Marshall has opened his doors to any and all who are seeking a deeper connection with our Lord. He has been instrumental in efforts to see the church through many challenging times and continues to serve us as an example of how we should all lead our lives in our journey with Christ. Fr. Marshall provides a fresh perspective and is a well-known activist and champion of human and environmental rights. His forward thinking and progressive ways has led the church into a period of free thought and spiritual wealth.